Oz the Great and Powerful

Discuss movies (including free films)
missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

Re: Oz the Great and Powerful

#11 Post by missgotty » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:40 am

Saw this at the Leicester Square premier last night. I liked this film it was a nicely done prequel but couldn't see the full screen so well from my seat at the front so will be watching it again at the O2 this Saturday.

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#12 Post by EthanRunt » Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:26 am

Half liked the film, opens very well and as we ease into Oz it's enjoyable, but it loses its way during the second hour as it drags out the third act for an unfeasibly long time. Not enough story or scope to keep it going, but mostly decent stuff.

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#13 Post by funthing29 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:41 am

This was reasonably good. It is a visual treat with lavish costumes and stunning CGI landscapes. While it was enjoyable with some comic touches (especially from the sidekicks), and some eye popping 3D, the biggest flaw lies with the acting: Weisz and Williams are spot on but Kunis really struggled and it was uncomfortable to watch. Franco lacked the charm or charisma the wizard required. I found it entertaining, but now the gloss has worn off, I see how the gorgeous visuals cannot compensate for a weak story or poorly cast actors. 7/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#14 Post by canadian_turtle » Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:21 am

Saw this on Wednesday and really enjoyed it. Very clever use of screen ratio, colour and other effects (particularly those attributed to the Wizard's "science") to tie back into the original film adaptation and some very eye-popping 3D scenes (several times I found myself jumping backwards in my seat!). Also loved all the tie-ins to the original books with the use of many familiar names and characters (the last name Gale, Winkies, China Town, Cowardly Lion, etc).

I had no problem with the acting abilities (or lack thereof) from the cast as I didn't notice it at the time at all. Don't think the wizard was supposed to be very charming, more an egotastic sleaze ball and James Franco pulled it off nicely. Having said that, his companions were much more endearing so maybe I was also too distracted by looking at them to not notice Franco too much. Thought all 3 witches were good too though I was confused by [spoiler]Theodora wearing all red in the first half of the film as this made me assume her to be the Wicked Witch of the East (a reference back to her ruby red slippers) but in the end she transformed into the Wicked Witch of the West. Particularly confusing as Evanora was wearing green, which would've tied nicely into the green skin of the Wicked Witch of the West. Ah well.[/spoiler]

8/10

June wrote:Interesting popcorn which looked like miniature sprouts o/
Because of the lighting in the cinema I initially thought the popcorn was blue, but eventually realised it was green. Makes sense as that colour is associated with Oz (Emerald City, green witch, etc.) ;)
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#15 Post by Beate » Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 pm

Gosh those security guards at the O2 were in your face annoying today. First they started shouting around from 10am that people have to have their mobiles turned off by 10.55, then one of them paced up and down next to us during the entire bloody film. There was also a lot of loo visits going on and while the audience were pretty behaved otherwise, the constant light stream from the door was annoying.

The film was quite entertaining but really too long for something like that, frequently too loud and had some scary moments that might have been too much for the youngsters. I must admit I nearly dropped off during the second half but I am quite tired today.

7/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

asamaic
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street - followed by anywhere in central(ish) London like Vue Islington.

#16 Post by asamaic » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:17 pm

Beate wrote:Gosh those security guards at the O2 were in your face annoying today. First they started shouting around from 10am that people have to have their mobiles turned off by 10.55, then one of them paced up and down next to us during the entire bloody film. There was also a lot of loo visits going on and while the audience were pretty behaved otherwise, the constant light stream from the door was annoying.

The film was quite entertaining but really too long for something like that, frequently too loud and had some scary moments that might have been too much for the youngsters. I must admit I nearly dropped off during the second half but I am quite tired today.

7.5/10
I think you might been slightly too far back to hear the kid in front of us.

[spoiler]"I don't need to go to the toilet, I'll just get my dinkle out and go whhhhst whhhhst and everyone will be surprised."

"When you're dead, I'm going to put poo all around the town and it will smell and people will go 'eugghh what's that smell?'"[/spoiler]

I'm, er, glad I got to the O2 early enough to sit in the balcony and listen to that. In all fairness, he wasn't that noisy during the film.

I really enjoyed the 3D. o/ Nice little story too, I'd give this a 4/5.
Preferred cinemas:
Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Empire Leicester Square, Cineworld O2, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue and Odeon Panton Street, followed by anywhere in central(ish) London.

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#17 Post by Beate » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:24 pm

Yeah we were in the last row as always. We even beat the Sky ushers to it - no one was around, then bevvy turned up and said they are scanning the tickets downstairs but I wasn't having that so we simply entered the balcony and when we finally saw the Sky people turn up with 3D glasses, I came out again and exchanged printouts for glasses. The balcony was basically full by 10am, though a few single seats were dotted around.

Everyone was groaning when the 3D didn't work for the first few seconds!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#18 Post by raj101 » Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:38 pm

not sure how you can record a 3d film on your iphone anyway, where they really expecting someone to upload a blurry multi-coloured version of the movie onto the internet? Even a dim ass pirate wouldn't do that.

(obviously I am very anti-piracy in stance, though I am also anti-piracy advert with a vengeance.... I absolutely abhor being talked down to in those adverts by a richboy actor telling us that movie piracy is a terrible thing for us viewers...no its not BUT it is ruinous for you one day, because you'll have to get a proper job, you Hollywood goon).
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

Rainey
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Plymouth

#19 Post by Rainey » Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Balcony was already full by the time we got there but sat near the back of the ground floor which was fine.

Kids thoroughly enjoyed the film, no fidgeting, they thought the 3D was brilliant and my son said it was far better than he thought it would be.

I did enjoy the film but felt it the story was a bit thin, the visuals were however stunning, some of the best use of 3D I have seen, it made me jump a few times and the little girl next to me was reaching out at one point it looked so real!

....what's happened to the 3D glasses they were huge, luckily had a pair in my bag as the ones they gave me were falling off!
Preferred Cinema's now Paignton or Exeter!

shmile
Phase IV
Phase IV

#20 Post by shmile » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:03 pm

i quite enjoyed it though like everyone else i did think it had dragged on too long and some kids i could see were getting a bit fidgety towards the end, great visuals and colours and one of the few times when 3D was not useless

7/10
no. of free films seen in 2011: 87 :D
no. of free films seen in 2012: 130 o/
no. of free films seen in 2013: 19