The Iceman

Discuss movies (including free films)
caitlinmorton

Re: The Iceman

#31 Post by caitlinmorton » Thu May 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Back from Shepherd's Bush, you could actually see the film AND get a voucher. Result!

Apologies to all attendees for my coughing fit in the middle of the film, I think I inhaled something my throat didn't like, and wasn't in a place where I could get up too easily.

I agree this is more of an 'in the background' type film, though very well done. Must be James Franco's 35th film of the year though. I swear he's in EVERYTHING. Though that's probably because he seems like a decent guy and won't say no to a small part. Also, I saw two films of his at the Berlin Film Festival this year that won't be out til the fall, and had tickets to another but was ill. Can't fault him for working hard!

The audience in Shepherd's Bush was pretty horrendous. The woman next to me took a call at one point, and was critiquing the film to the person on the other end, and a woman in the premium seats against the wall was making calls! Add that to the two guys behind me who obviously mistook the theatre for their living room (but were silenced with one dirty look from me), and all the crinkly wrappers, plus my coughing fit, it was probably pretty crap for everyone to be in the cinema. The fact that after all of this I didn't come out hating the film is a testament to how well done it was. The pacing wasn't my cup of tea, but it worked for the story, in my opinion. I also really loved that the audience in my cinema seemed to all work out that it was David Schwimmer at the same time. There was literally a collective "aha!".

All in all an interesting experience, though so glad I have a voucher to show for it! Byzantium here I come!

SOLACE
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

#32 Post by SOLACE » Thu May 30, 2013 11:07 pm

Nooooooo oooooo oooooo!!!! We were running late for this film at shepards bush (through no fault of our own, accident related traffic) and decided to leave it and go for a meal instead!! If i had known it had been delayed it would have been the perfect timing! plus missed out on the free vouchers!!! Nooooooo oooooo oooooo!!!!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

Preferred Cinemas - Any Central London, Shepherds Bush, Kingston Upon Thames, Staines, Wandsworth, The O2, Greenwich, Harrow, Islington, High Wycombe.

TheDude
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#33 Post by TheDude » Fri May 31, 2013 12:06 am

moviemannn wrote: missed out on the free vouchers!!! Nooooooo oooooo oooooo!!!!!!
I'm not sure everyone who turned up did get the vouchers, if that makes you feel better, overheard one of the ushers say that due to the usual over-allocation, they only had so many vouchers to give out. So those at the end of the very long queue might have gone home empty-handed...

Btw, for those who got the vouchers, they are valid for VIP seats too! 8-)

Anyway, the audience at Shepherd's Bush was indeed very disruptive tonight, there were two groups of people at the back talking constantly and I could see phones lighting up throughout the film, seems to be the case more and more at the Bush lately! I don't understand why these people come to the cinema!? :confused:

I still enjoyed The Iceman, Michael Shannon was excellent (again), and I couldn't help but giggle every time David Schwimmer appeared on the screen (he's so wrong for this film!). Overall, a decent true crime thriller, 7/10.

missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

#34 Post by missgotty » Fri May 31, 2013 8:23 pm

Simply this was a brilliant film!

moggers
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 404
Preferred Cinemas: Odeon Braehead, Odeon Quay, Cineworld Glasgow.

#35 Post by moggers » Fri May 31, 2013 11:46 pm

We seen this at Paisley last night, took my Dad along as it was his type of film and we both really enjoyed it. The cinema was full, was a bit worried it was going to be called off after a long wait but we got in and the film started pretty quickly. Michael Shannon was brilliant, Winona as much as I love her was Winona and the dude from friends, he lasted a lot longer than I thought he would!
8/10 from my grumpy Dad, who would usually declare loudly if it was 'mince' or a 'wummins film'

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#36 Post by McG » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:02 am

Sat directly in front of moggers and dad tho I made sure I slipped down in my seat to make sure they had a good view. I have to say that I really enjoyed the film and thought Michael Shannon played a very frightening Iceman. Apart from his first kill, he was killing to order of other baddies . . . making him appear to be a killer with principles . . . no women or children! I found it surprising how he lived a life of respectability and switched to order. The young actors playing the daughters were very good and could be names to watch for. The film had violence but the worst part for me was [spoiler]the scene dismembering the bodies while one fully clothed was hanging to drain! 8O[/spoiler]
My friend's husband was my OH and he too enjoyed the film.
Slow, steady burner rather than just blood and guts throughout!
Marks 8/10

blazed

#37 Post by blazed » Sat Jun 01, 2013 6:37 pm

So gutted I had to give this a miss in the last minute, had an important interview come up the next day... I think I would have enjoyed this :(

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#38 Post by funthing29 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:13 am

Michael Shannon has a knack for playing creepy and menacing characters (I think he is excellent at this in Boardwalk Empire). Therefore this role felt quite suited for him. It was not as disturbing as I was expecting but it certainly kept my attention and didn't feel overlong. 7.5/10.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

SOLACE
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#39 Post by SOLACE » Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:34 pm

Thankfully I managed to get tickets for this tonight at Kingston upon Thames after the fiasco with the traffic last week and I'm glad to say we have got here nice and early, I'm actually sat right in the middle of the premier seats which is great! There has just been some commotion over people having to move up yo prevent single seats which was quite funny as the lady next to me was creating a scene about it! The movie hasn't started yet but really looking forward to it after reading all the positive reviews here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfq_A8nXMsQ

Preferred Cinemas - Any Central London, Shepherds Bush, Kingston Upon Thames, Staines, Wandsworth, The O2, Greenwich, Harrow, Islington, High Wycombe.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#40 Post by alythonian » Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Edinburgh was packed despite it being the warmest and sunniest day of the year so far.

Michael Shannon was mesmerising as the Iceman. The supporting cast were also excellent. When David Schwimmer came on my OH whispered "David Seaman" and he was pretty accurate - nice ponytail. Also he morphed into Ali G in his last scene...

8/10 from us
Alythonian